(Last revision - June 28, 2020)
Youth sports are supposed to be fun - for everyone, especially the children. Unfortunately, many parents, fans and sometimes coaches do not realize that their actions, whether verbal or nonverbal, can have lasting emotional effect on children. Too many young children are leaving sports activities because the fun is unfairly taken away by adults. Norwood Athletic Club is dedicated to promoting the healthy development of youth in sports, and for that reason, has adopted the following Code of Conduct for all members of our club to abide by. Parents, fans and coaches who follow this simple code can help reinforce what sports are all about - BEING FUN FOR EVERYONE.
The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: Trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship.
All Norwood Athletic Club members agree to the following:
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and the game is for youths, not adults.
3. I will inform the Norwood Athletic Club and coaches of any physical and/or mental disability, or any ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice or event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting, refusing to shake hands, or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, gender, or ability.
10. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
11. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of the personal desire I may have for my child to win.
14. I (and all my guests) will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront them or coaches at the game field, and will take the time to speak to coaches at an agreed upon time and place. I agree to follow the proper protocol and chain of command when it comes to issues of any sort regarding officials, opposing clubs, players, guests, etc.. I will alert my own coach and/or NAC Director for that sport, who will then follow up through the appropriate channels.
15. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices unless I am one of the selected registered coaches of the team.
16. I will help my child get to games and practices on time.
17. I will never voice any complaints, criticism or concerns toward coaches, referees, umpires, league officials or NAC officials in front of the children during practices or games. Any complaints, criticism or concerns can be directed and addressed to the appropriate NAC director.
18. I will be positive and respectful when posting social media comments on any outlet. I will use good judgment by not posting any content deemed detrimental, harmful, or disrespectful of NAC’s reputation, nor any officials, or any NAC members, coaches, players, parents, or opposing club affiliates. I agree to abide by the basic concepts of morality, decency, respect, and order & decorum, as would be expected, for example, in any professional setting, court of law, place of religious worship, school, etc..
19. I understand that all Norwood Athletic Club coaches, and especially children and participant players, regardless of their age, are expected to follow this entire Code of Conduct. This includes, but is not limited to, their treatment of others, being a good teammate, foul language, social media, 'bullying' of any sort, and respect for authority figures (coaches, officials, etc), parents, & opposing club affiliates/spectators. Improper behavior from coaches or participant players will NOT be tolerated, and will be dealt with immediately.
20. I (and my guests) agree and fully understand that SMOKING IS PROHIBITED at any Norwood Athletic Club sponsored event -- sports, games, practices, non-sport events, etc. I will NOT smoke any substance on school district property (steps, parking lot, etc), and will only do so curbside by a public street/space. I will NOT smoke any substance at the Amosland Park fields beginning the moment I enter the park complex. This includes the parking area from the Cassidy field down to the end of the park road, with the exception of sitting in a vehicle with the windows up. Smoking should generally only occur along any public curbside streets away from any fields, children, or other people, and NOT within the park complex. I acknowledge there are No Smoking signs posted throughout Amosland Park according to Norwood Borough Ordinance, and I and/or my guests are subject to appropriate legal fines.
I acknowledge that this Code of Conduct has been adopted by NAC. I agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and regulations, I will be subject to disciplinary action by NAC, which could include, but is not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by official, coach, board member
- Written Warning
- Parental game suspension
- Coach game suspension
- Parental season suspension
- Coach season suspension
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
IN CONSIDERATION OF myself and/or my child(ren)/ward(s) being allowed to participate in any way in the NORWOOD ATHLETIC CLUB (NAC) related events and activities, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
The risks of injury and ILLNESS (ex: communicable diseases such as COVID-19, MRSA, influenza, etc.) to myself and/or my child, other family members & friends/fans in attendance, from the activities involved in these programs are significant, including the potential for permanent disability and death, and while particular rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce these risks, the risks of serious injury and illness do exist; and,
I, FOR MYSELF, MY SPOUSE, AND CHILD/WARD, HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT WE HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY AGREEING TO THIS ELECTRONIC WAIVER IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS NORWOOD ATHLETIC CLUB REGISTRATION, AND DO SO FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
As consideration for being permitted by the NAC to participate in these activities, I hereby release and hold harmless the NAC's, volunteers, designated coaches, and program officials from all liability, and from all actions or claims that I or my child now or hereafter have for damage or injury to me or my child, or to any person or property, resulting from the negligence or other acts of any volunteers in connection with me or my child’s participation. I further agree that this waiver, release and assumption of risks are to be binding on the heirs and assigns of the acknowledged. I further agree to indemnify and to hold NAC (its officers and volunteers) free and harmless from any loss, liability, damage, cost or expense which they may incur as a result of any injury and/or property damage that I or my child may cause or sustain while participating in any activity. In case of a medical emergency, I hereby give permission to the NAC, and Volunteers to order treatment for me or my child, including any necessary medical treatment and x-rays. I also hereby give permission to disclose any needed personal information to medical personnel. I understand that an attempt will be made to reach me by phone when a diagnosis is completed. I agree to pay all medical, hospital, or other expenses which my child or I may incur as a result of such treatment. NAC also does not provide any medical or other insurance protection or benefits for those who participate in the activities.
I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS RELEASE AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT BETWEEN THE NORWOOD ATHLETIC CLUB AND MYSELF, AND ACCEPT IT AT MY OWN FREE WILL.